01. The Characteristics and Pride of Boryeong Mud Festival
The Boryeong Mud Festival is the most significant festival held annually in July of the all around. From the moment you take part in this summer festival, it is a joyful experience that allows everyone to participate without distinction of nationality, race, language, age, etc.
It is the most foreigner-participating festival in Korea.
Selected as Korea’s Representative Festival in 2008, 2009, and 2010 respectively. From 2011 to 20104, it has held the title of ‘Korea’s Honorable and Representative Festival’.
This has a variety of health experienced type of festival in Korea, including free mud massage using mud powder.
An unique events such as marine boot camp and marathon on mudflats near the Daechon Beach.
Various tourist destinations, City Tour operations, and nighttime events.
You can visit both the Daecheon beach and the festival. Daecheon beach sands are composed of shall power. (3.5 kilometers long and 200 meters wide).
The Boryeong Mud festival is located 2 hours from the Seoul metropolitan area and it has convenient transportation from anywhere in the country.
Ministry of Culture Sports and Tourism selected Mud festival as " Korea Global Promotion Festival " in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
02 International Festivals and Events
Association Awards History
- 2014 International Festivals and Event Association Best Prize (2), Silver Award (1) Excellent Award (1), Encouragement Award (1) awarded (IFEA)
- 2014 Republic of Korea Regional Brand Award of Excellence in Festival (Safety Administration, Seoul Newspaper)
- 2013, 1st Republic of Korea Contents Awards
- 2012 International Festivals and Event Association
- 2011 International Festivals and Event Association -Gold Award (1)/Programming category, Silver Award (3)/Poster, Invitation, Festival Character Product
- 2010 International Festivals and Event Association Gold Award (2), Bronze Award (2) awarded, designed a world festival city
- 2009 International Festivals and Event Association Gold Award (2), Bronze Award(1) awarded (IFEA)
- 2007 International Festivals and Event Association Gold Award (2), Silver Award (1) Bronze Award (1) awarded (IFEA)
- 2007 The 4th Korea Local Government Fair Best Prize awarded (Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs, Korea Times)
- 2006, 2007 Ministry of Sports, Culture and Tourism selected as the Best Festival
- 2006 Korea Excellent Specialty Product Grand Prize (Korea Times)
01Origin and History
Boryeong is a coastal area in the southwestern part of South Chungcheong-nam Prodince. Boryeong has a long coastline of 136 km according to a component analysis, it is known to be effective on skin care because it contains significant amount of minerals, germanium, and bentonite, which is better than the Dead Sea mud in Israel.
Deacheon Beach,which is 100m wide and 3.5 km long, is the best summer resort on the west coast in Korea due to its moderate temperature and gentle slope. In1996, Boryeong City developed 16 kinds of mud cosmetics and tried to promote it, but they were not recognized and sold. In July 1998, the first festival was held to introduce Daecheon Beach as well as promote other tourist attractions, the Mud products and create a local image.
- Boryeong discovered the excellent quality of mud in the mudflats near Deacheon Beach and made mud cosmetics. As a means of promoting it,
city opened the first Boryeong Mud Festival in 1998.
- There were many concerns such as unique theme and small size of festival. However, more then 300 thousand of tourists were participated,
and ripple effect of 350 million won was effected on regional economic.
- The festival mud festival was extended to 7 days on the 4th of Mud Festival, and the number of participated tourists, and
its effect on the local economy were significantly grown. Boryeong has been successful in its local image of 'Boryeong' if it is 'Mud'
- It is designated as the most festival that attracted to foreigners among the domestic festivals by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
The festival also had become a global festival that selected as a representative festival for the third consecutive year from 2008 to 2010.
- Since 2011, Boryeong Mud Festival had designated as [Republic of Korea Honorary Representative Festival] and [Global festival] in 2015, those awards
enhance the fame as a global festival. In 2011, Boryeong mud organization saw the possibility of self-reliance by charged facilities from Mud Festival.
- It was the year possibility of a fiscal independence foundation by raising the cost of experience facilities to secure the organic power of the Mud Festival, and to experience the street parade, mud festival, and other facilities with tourists.
- In addition, the Boryeong Mud Festival has won Pinnacle Award at IFEA WORLD, and on the 19th Boryeong Mud Festival is recognized as a true global festival festival by receiving Pinnacle Awards for 10 consecutive years
- As a resulf, the 19th Boryeong Mud Festival in 2016, among 39.9 million of visitors,
430 thousands of visitors were foreigners. Regional Economic impact raised to 72.7 billion won.
01What is Mud?
- What is Mud?
- Mud means "wet, 'sticky' soil. it's a soil that has decomposed plants and animals, salt, etc.,
that has been deposited in the soil and it's created by geological, chemical,
and decomposition of micro-organisms.
- Types of Mud
- There are many kinds of mud. Many of them are known for the Dead Sea of Isreal,
Mud Bay of British Columbia, Russia Lake Baikal, California Club Mud and New Zealand
- Boryeong Mud Korea's first mud to be localized (launched in 1996)
preventing aging skin and exfoliating. For that reason, a well-known Korean cosmetics
skin beauty. The OEM is produced from the domestic famous cosmetic corporation
company produces and it's guaranteed by Boryeong City.
- Usage of Mud
- Effect of Mud
Generally, mud has natural minerals that prevent skin from aging, give skin vitality and elastically. Mud has colloid and crystal elements that improve young and fresh skin. It is antimicrobial in the treatment of trauma.
|Ingredient||The Function and Effect|
- Activate cell activity, expand capillary vessels, stimulate blood circulation and metabolism, and exfoliating.
- Makes each cell healthy and energetic
|Ge(germanium)||- It is good for the human body, and it tighten skin, making the skin elastic and fresh.
- This is the main ingredient of cosmetics, promoting blood circulation and metabolism- Remove waste and make skin fight clear
|Na (Sodium)|| - Osmotic pressure control, water balance
|Mg(magnesium)||- Promotion of waste presence, affecting collagen binding
|Si (silicon)||- Removing super fares and excess sebum from pores
|K(Potaggium)||- Osmotic pressure control, water balance, calming effect
- Detoxification, Stress suppression
- effects on collagen unite